- 2013 PhD, Geological Sciences, The Ohio State University (USA)
- 2008 MSc, Zoology, University of Innsbruck (Austria)
- 2005 BSc, Biology, University of Innsbruck (Austria)
I grew up in the Tyrol region of Austria and spent much of my childhood hiking and skiing in the beautiful Austrian Alps. However, watching the fascinating underwater documentaries of the Austrian biologist and diving pioneer Hans Hass as a child kindled a deep passion for the marine environment and I decided to pursue a career as a marine scientist.
After completing my masters research on the feeding ecology of a coral predator with Prof Martin Zuschin at the University of Innsbruck (Austria) in 2008, I moved to the U.S. to study the impacts of climate change on coral reefs at The Ohio State University with Prof Andréa Grottoli. I was awarded my PhD in 2013.
Since 2013, I have been working as a postdoctoral Research Fellow in Prof Malcolm McCulloch‘s lab at the ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies at the University of Western Australia in Perth. In 2017, I became one of the Program Leaders for Research Program 2 “Ecosystem Dynamics: Past, Present and Future” within the ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies.
My research on tropical coral reefs has taken me to many fascinating places on this planet, including the Red Sea, the Mexican Caribbean, the Great Barrier Reef and the unique coral reefs of Western Australia.
- Effects of global climate change on tropical coral reefs
- Coral bleaching, ocean acidification and coral calcification
- Naturally extreme coral reef environments
- Coral skeletal geochemical proxies
Please see Research for more details on my current and past research.
Awards and honours
- 2019 Superstar of STEM, Science and Technology Australia. This program aims to smash society’s gender assumptions about scientists and increase the public visibility of women in STEM by creating a critical mass of celebrity Australian female scientists and technologists – role models for young women and girls – and working towards equal representation in the media of women and men working in all fields in STEM.
- 2018 Western Australia Young Tall Poppy Science Award, Australian Institute of Policy and Science. This award recognizes outstanding academic achievement as well as excellence in communication and community engagement to promote an understanding of science.
- 2015 Finalist for Outstanding Women in Science Award, Geological Society of America
- 2013 Distinguished Senior PhD Student – Spieker Award, The Ohio State University School of Earth Sciences
- 2012 Presidential Fellowship, The Ohio State University. This is the OSU Graduate School’s most prestigious award, recognizing outstanding scholarly accomplishments and potential.
- 2012 Gretchen L. Blechschmidt Award, Geological Society of America
- 2010 Distinguished Graduate Student Teaching Award, The Ohio State University School of Earth Sciences
- 2010 Helen M. and Milton O. Lee Fellowship, The Ohio State University
- 2010 Best New Graduate Student – Estwing Award, The Ohio State University School of Earth Sciences
- 2008 1st Prize Young Scientists Write Press Releases, Austrian Press Agency
- 2007 Scholarship of Excellence, University of Innsbruck, Austria
- 2005 Scholarship of Excellence, University of Innsbruck, Austria
- 2002 Scholarship of Excellence, University of Innsbruck, Austria